5/20/13

The thing about writing....

I consider writing to be a hobby.  

Big surprise, huh? But no, really. Writing is only a hobby to me, and even though I'd love to live off my hobby at some point, then I'm still hesitant.

What if I try and don't make the cut?

What if I do make the cut, and I then lose my touch? 

What if I'm really no good?

What if by waiting to do something about it, I'm really just harming myself?

What if I flop?

What if, what if, what if....

Do you recognize those two words from yourself? You should... It's that annoying little voice at the back of your head. It makes life hard, and not just with writing. The "What if" monster continuously attempts to bring you doubt on all aspects of your life.

So what can you do to fight it? In all honesty-- Not much. It'll always be there.

But I can tell you what I do, and more importantly, why it seems to work for me most of the time.

I say "most" because as with most things in the world, there's always that one exception to the rule. So take what you want from this, and apply it to yourself.

The way I see writing, and this is the writing I do on here, and on Wattpad, is that I am the God of all! 

I make the rules, I try things out, and when it doesn't work, I'm also the one responsible for changing it. IF I refuse, then I won't improve.

Personally, I can live with never amounting to anything with writing. As long as I at least manage to satisfy myself. The reason why I say so? It's because I am my own worst critic.

Nothing I do is perfect. Nothing I do will be perfect.

So I can either give up, or keep improving and moving on.

My choice? The latter. Definitely the latter.

But Maja, how do you manage that? When your mind keeps telling you that what you're doing is wrong, and you can't make it better?

Well, dear random interviewer in my head, I believe that sometimes there's things that doesn't need fixing. There's not one definite rule to writing. Well. There is one! And one only! It involves words.

The way you do it: typewriter, pen and paper, crayons on pavement, paint on canvas, speech to text or computer, force a friend to type it for you. It all works. 

The way you go about it: Outlining, writing from the top of your head, worldbuilding, edit later, word diarrhea, jumping in chapters. It all works.

The way you finish it: beta reader, self editing, reading out loud, oxford grammar, US english, UK english. It all works.

The way you make it available to others: Uploading on Wattpad, Email it to friends, make it a note on facebook, self-publishing, sending it to an agent, indie publishing, traditional publishing, e-book, paperback, printing it out, order one copy to have on the shelf. It all works.

Do you see a pattern here?

If not, then read it again and repeat doing that, until you realize that there's no right way of writing. What works for me, might not work for you. That doesn't make what I do wrong though. Doesn't make it right either. It makes it appliable to me, and that's what you should seek in writing.

Writing is a form of art, and it's always evolving. Language evolves, slang becomes more acceptable, time changes, and along with the constant battle against originality, you need to think outside the box.

Which is why it's important, especially on free writing website as Wattpad that you always consider whether the opinion given to you is something you agree with.

The thing about writing, is that you only manage to make it unique and original, if you make it special to you.



3 comments:

  1. I had a discussion with colleagues in my English Faculty about Deep POV.

    Though not many have heard of, or are familiar with this form, the ultimate consensus was as I'll sum up below.

    'Language and writing, is art, and art evolves. It changes to suit our purposes, to suit our curiosity, and to suit our drive to experiment, extend, and to be different.
    Grammatical perfection can only be as perfect as the rules 'the way they stand now,' and many rules we now accept as key, were different a hundred year sago.

    If we tell stories to communicate ideas, then the most important thing about them is that they do so clearly, consistently, and in such a way that makes them vivid and immersive. This isn’t always a direct translation for *technical perfection.’

    * Where technical perfection is meeting the standards as currently accepted by the status quo. It’s worth noting, that some of the most well known artists of various media, did their most memorable work in opposition to the status quo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what I can say that Briony hasn't. I mean, language is a crazy concept when you think about it and only works because we as a collective group of people agree that it does. It's hard enough getting a group of 3 people to agree on pizza toppings to order. That language functions at all is downright amazing.

    Enjoyable post, Maja. Write free!

    ReplyDelete